Scouting/Monitoring Plant Health and Field Conditions
The use of drones in almost every sector of the economy is growing fast, but drone usage in the agricultural industry is booming. According to some reports, the agricultural drone market is expected to grow from a $1.2 billion(USD) industry in 2019 to $4.8 billion in 2024. From scouting to monitoring, drone use will become more ubiquitous on large and small scale farms in a few short years. The information gathered by drones on farms is often used to better inform agronomic decisions and is part of a system generally referred to as ‘precision agriculture’.
In this project we will tell about how FukatSoft help to improve drone technologies are already being used on farms.
Scouting/Monitoring Plant Health
- FukatSoft get data from drone imagery for monitoring plant health.
- Drones equipped with special imaging equipment called Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) use detailed color information to indicate plant health.
- This allows farmers to monitor crops as they grow so any problems can be dealt with fast enough to save the plants. This Figure 2 illustrates simply how NDVI works.
- FukatSoft also get data from drones using ‘regular’ cameras are also used to monitor crop health.
- FukatSoft also use satellite imagery to monitor crop growth, density, and coloration, but accessing satellite data is costly and not as effective in many cases as closer drone imaging.
- Drones fly close to fields, cloud cover and poor light conditions matter less than when using satellite imaging.
- Satellite imaging may offer to the meter accuracy, but drone imaging is capable of producing accurate image location to the millimetre.
- This means that after planting, areas with stand gaps can be spotted and replanted as needed, and disease or pest problems can be detected and treated for right away.
- Fukatsoft get data from drone for field monitoring that also being used to monitor the health of soil and field conditions.
- Drones can provide accurate field mapping including elevation information that allow growers to find any irregularities in the field.
- After getting information on field elevation FukatSoft analyses these data and determining drainage patterns and indicate wet/dry spots which allow for more efficient watering techniques.
Posted on: June 18, 2020